A Curtiss P-40E Kittyhawk (Civil Registration ZK-RMH) displays at the Wings Over Wairarapa 2015 Airshow at Hood Aerodrome, Masterton (NZMS). This aircraft is one of only two surviving aircraft that served the Royal New Zealand Air Force during Word War II. Transferred to the RNZAF in April 1942, it served with 14 Squadron, 17 Squadron and 2 OTU. It was sold as scrap after the war, but was rescued from the scrapyard in 1959.
Restored to a static display condition, it was loaned to the Museum of Transport & Technology (MOTAT) in Auckland for display from 1964 to 1994. Purchased by the Old Flying Machine Company at RAF Duxford, in the early 1990s, it was eventually restored to a flying condition, taking to the air in December 1997.
In 1999 it was the exported to England for The Old Flying Machine Company and based at RAF Duxford where it flew as P-40 NZ3009 until 2002. Sometime after 2002 the aircraft was repainted in the livery it currently wears, the colours of Chinese fighter ace Xu Hua Jiang, who was one of the 2 most famous aces in the Nationalist Chinese Air Force in World War II.
The aircraft returned to New Zealand in in 2004 and is now owned and operated by The Old Stick and Rudder Company, based at Masterton, New Zealand.
Canon EOS 400D & Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD at 150mm. ISO200, 1/125th sec at f/22